Wednesday, May 6, 2009

lil reminder

Owen Fincher was in my class at preschool three years ago. This is his dad's journal entry on their caringbridge blog marking the anniversary of finding Owen's cancer. Lets lift up this family in prayer!
Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:54 AM, CDT
Hi Folks. Owen is doing fantastic! Not much to report. I have been thinking about our journey over the last year. It was April 18th, 2008. A friday afternoon. Owen had been running a fever for a few days, and had what we thought was a rash on his arms and legs. He went potty, and I noticed blood in the toilet. It was nearly six in the evening, and I called the pediatrician and begged them to let us come in, as I didn't want to have to worry about him all weekend. Owen, Ruby, and I ran to the Dr,'s office, and within 20 minutes I was being told that Owen had Leukemia. Ironically enough, the dr. who was staying late that friday evening, had a daughter who also had ALL. In hindsight, she new immediately. Owen had lots of bruises on his legs and arms. After the dr took a blood sample she came back in, and asked if I would let the nurse take Ruby while we talked. I thought she was gonna acuse me of abusing Owen, so I was getting very defensive. It was a really horrible day.I left the dr's office and drove straight to the salon to get Jennifer. Having to tell her was the most horrible thing I have ever experinced. We drove straight to UNC, crying the whole way. We spent the next 2 weeks in the hospital. We didn't even know if Owen would still be here in a year. Thank God for healing our son. I truly believe he is going to be a real success story. We are 1 year in to treatment. 2 and 1/2 years left to go. Life is really close to normal now. In the back of my mind, I'm always thinking about Owen, and hoping his cancer never comes back. He's had a really rough 12 months, but he has been so strong and resilient. He makes me a better person. I'm lucky to be his dad!

No comments: