Friday, January 29, 2010

Born to Thrive (school anxiety part 2)

I want my boys to thrive wherever they are. I want to raise them to be confident in who God made them and full of integrity so that when they are in the Mr. Bryant classrooms they can make the right decisions.

Here is a list of places I have thrived:

I thrived in my home. My parents, especially my dad, celebrated who I was. They still do. And I still thrive when I am around them.

I thrived on the Tigers my soccer team Coach Singer and Coach Grey cheered the entire team along through many undefeated seasons.

I thrived in my 12th grade creative writing class. Mrs. Trail did such a good job encouraging me and giving me creative freedom. It was in her class with her guidance that I won a poetry contest and the famous mother teresa painting came to be.

And then I really came alive when I Tim and I got married. I've got tears in my eyes thinking about it. I have never been as happy as I was then and am now. That first year with Tim was the happiest year of my life. I have never felt so free and so loved. Tim is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.

*the purpose of this entire blog is really about my kids. but I thought these thoughts and memories would help add understanding and insight into some of the decisions I make as a mom. It might manifest it's way into my decisions about education or about what they do or don't eat, do or don't watch on tv. All parents want to be objective. But I know it's impossible to be completely objective. Ideally and ultimately I just want to make godly decisions on the rearing of my kids. We very quickly learned that the decisions are not cookie cutter perfect. they are shaped and reshaped over and over again. God help us. God help Adam and Ryan!

No comments: